Our Mission & Goals
The Virgin Islands Humanities Council seeks to provide opportunities for the diverse population of the Virgin Islands to participate in humanities programs which promote a love of learning, encourage dialogue, enhance understanding, and broaden people's judgment.
The VIHC accomplishes its mission by fostering an awareness of shared commitment to public humanities, through working in partnership with humanities scholars, cultural and civic institutions, and organizations in the territory.
Goals and Objectives (2008-2012)
- Expand audiences and promote understanding of the humanities through a public relations campaign, council-conducted and initiated projects, and through a competitive regrant program;
- Foster improvement of the quality of humanities education in public, private, and parochial schools with emphasis on culturally relevant materials and approaches;
- Encourage the development of source materials which will enrich the base of information relating to Virgin Islands cultural history;
- Help strengthen a sense of community by encouraging projects which highlight the cultural contributions of the diverse population groups of the Virgin Islands, and by providing a forum for the discussion of public policy issues;
- Strengthen the organizational structure of the VIHC;
- Engage in efforts of institutional collaboration; and
- Broaden the financial base of the VIHC by actively soliciting private support.